Monday, December 19, 2011

Tree-mendous

I love REAL Christmas trees.  I like the fresh pine scent as well as the imperfectness that is a real tree (you know, the holes and the odd branches that stick out here and there).  However, buying a real Christmas tree is not the most earth friendly thing to do.  Even if you go to a tree farm where trees are grown solely for the purpose of being cut down for Christmas, it’s still a not a superb idea because that’s good growing land and energy being used for what some might consider frivolous purposes.

Now, I also love the idea of buying a tree in a bucket that has its roots and can be planted.  But, I don’t have a yard in which to plant said tree and I’m not sure how Chicago’s park district would feel about me planting a random pine tree with remnants of tinsel in our local park.  I would venture to guess it’s probably against the law. 

So, although we’ve gotten tiny trees to fit in our tiny apartment the past two years, this year my husband and I decided to forgo a tree altogether (I’m just not ready for a fake).   But, do not accuse me of being humbug just yet, please.  Instead, we did a bit of upcycling.  We scored a pile of fresh pine branches from the discard pile at Home Depot (the ends they cut off the tress for everyone buying them) and decorated with those.  I get the fresh pine scent (and the cleaning disaster) and the pretty holiday cheer at no additional harm and no cost. 

I think it turned out pretty nice…..


No comments: