Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Reason for the Season

Two years ago my family decided to forgo the usual pile of presents and instead each start saving for a family trip to Hawaii in 2012/2013.  I think we technically said no presents, but we really meant way fewer, smaller and simpler presents.   We are a very lucky family in that we can afford to buy ourselves the things we need, so gift-giving was all about giving others the things we "knew" they wanted (or thought they wanted? Or hope they wanted? Or could find at the last second?).  Anyway, I think we enjoyed giving each other things we wanted as much as the next family, but, it turns out, we also enjoy not having the pressure of buying the perfect gifts and just spending time together even more.  Or at least I do. 

Of course, it’s not just about saving for a special family trip.  It’s totally world saving because it means buying less stuff and creating less waste. 

As an added bonus, now I can make gifts without worrying that I’m too old to still be making gifts for my parents.  Well, I still worry about what making gifts for my parents at the age of 29 that says about me, I just don’t feel guilty that I’m not living up to some socially acceptable parent gift-giving standard. 

Last year, I had more fun making gifts than I ever recall having buying gifts.  Including writing this silly poem for my mom’s sewing station.


Confessions of a Fabricholic

Saturday after Saturday, I say
I won’t buy any fabric today
I’m out the door, my block in hand
To Quilter’s Harvest , my own holy land
Two whole bags, I buy no less
Fine! I am a Fabricholic—I confess!

Tim spies the bags, big and full
“Are you serious?” he exclaims, “This is bull!”
In my sewing room, each night I’ll spend
Dressed in my robe, my hair on end
Sitting all straight in that ol’ chair
My Singer a whirrin’, not a moment to spare
No more can I buy, it’s such a mess
I am a Fabricholic—let me stress!

More colors, more combos, more textures and feels
Who can believe—so many “steals”
I want it all, just to make it mine
At this point it’s practically a batik shrine

When Amy Butler’s on sale I simply freak
Then I make bag for Jenny (just one Amish streak)
I’ve got the “Tale of Two Kitties,” shoved in a drawer
Under half-finished quilts and so much more

Here in this room, I made quite a disaster
Just to sew Ryan’s quilt a bit faster
I crafted a blanket for my son-in-law
And wedding decorations for all to awe
For Chelle, a new pillow’s on my list
One I’m sure Chuck won’t resist
To Tori an apron, of all things
Oh what joy all my fabric brings!

Each week Cheryl, Janice and I vow
We’ll stop buying it all somehow
We’ll sit right here ‘til we sew something fab
But yet again, all we do is gab

Now I let out one big sigh
It’s true, I can no longer deny
I’ll raise my voice and shout out loud
I’m a Fabricholic and proud!

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

We love to gab, but occasionally we get something done. It is one of the good days of the week. You are so creative with your poem about your Mom. We all love pretty fabric. Even you.

Jen said...

I do love petty fabric! I'm probably a fabricholic or even a serious craftaholic. I need to find a sewing/crocheting/knitting/crafting group in Chicago for my own Wednesday night fun!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a plan. Have a wonderful year.

Cheryl said...

I wasn't trying to be anonymous. Just hit the wrong button.