Friday, May 13, 2011

Snail Mail

Yesterday, I got a dream catcher in the mail.  I’m serious.  It’s from the St. Joseph’s Indian School. They are so sure I’m going to send them a donation for the Lakota children they’ve already sent me numerous gifts…including a dream catcher. 

We get a lot of crap mail (crap is more serious than junk).  A lot of crap we don’t need to get.  Of course, I’m recycling the paper, but still it takes a lot energy to make and mail all that paper.  So, I’m cutting out the junk.  The majority of my bills have been “paperless” for some time, but I still have a few stragglers I’ll need to take care of.  In addition, I’m going to start cancelling the gobs of catalogs and other crap, much of which I’m not even sure why I receive (e.g., Kids Pottery Barn?!?!). 

You know who is going to go first?  Who is the most annoying crap mailer?  Newport News.  They send soooooo many catalogs.  I bought one swimsuit from them YEARS ago (I wasn’t even living in Chicago --someone at Newport News is stalking me) and I still get their catalogs constantly.  I can always look online so I don’t need your catalog, Newport News. 

Admittedly, there are some mailers I won’t cancel—the ones that send good coupons that I will use.   UNLESS, I can receive an email equivalent that I could print only when “needed.”  I’ll check into it (I know, I know…you are on the edge of your seats). 

2 comments:

Satoris said...

So, what are you doing with the dream catcher?

I don't get near as much junk mail as I once did. Maybe it's from the many moves over the years. Not sure. I would gladly stop getting some of the flyers though... like the ones from local markets. I don't know how to stop something that is just addressed to "resident" though. Any idea?

Jen said...

I hung the dream catcher in my office (seriously). It just didn't seem right to throw it away and I have a lot of unused wall space...

I don't think you get get rid of the "resident" mailers, which is unfortunately. Presorted first class is going to be challenge.