Sunday, January 1, 2012

Resolute

Do you ever fervently say that you are going to do something and then instantaneously, whole-heartedly regret what you just said?  But it’s too late to take back what you said because taking it back would mean you are only half-heartedly committed to saving the world?  Yeah…that just happened.

I said I’m going on a shopping ban.  Alas, some of you may think I’m being a bit dramatic, but I suspect there’s at least one other soul other there gasping with horror. 

Let me explain....

What exactly do I mean by a “shopping ban”?

I mean I’m going to stop buying “stuff.”  No clothes, shoes, craft supplies, beauty products, jewelry, kitchen tools, books—I think you get the idea.*

I am allowed to buy food and household necessities (e.g., laundry detergent, shampoo) when I run out.   In case you were wondering, nail polish is not a household necessity and even if I painted my nails every day this year I wouldn’t run out of nail polish.  And I can survive with one kind of shampoo.

How long will the ban last?
“They” say it takes just 3 to 4 weeks to form a new habit…just for good measure, I’m giving myself 16 weeks (1/1/2012 to 4/21/2012). 

Why am I doing this?

There’s so many reasons I HAVE to do this.  I have too much stuff.  I buy too much stuff.  I might be addicted to stuff.   I’m not proud—the excess in areas of my life is embarrassing.  And, it’s WASTEFUL.  A waste of energy (READ: doesn’t save the world), space, money, time, and who knows what else. 

 Admittedly, I’ve been yapping about doing a ban for something like 6 months.  But I can always think of something I “need” that keeps me from starting The Ban just yet.   In reality, I’m pretty sure the delay stems from my fear of failing miserably.   I’m just worried that I will get caught up in life, the pressure of keeping up with the Jones’, buy stuff, not reach this goal, AND have to announce my failure to the world wide web.  There really is something to say for getting your resolutions “out there.”  There’s no incentive as compelling as fear.   

Anyway, that’s it.  That’s what I’m doing.  Wish me luck! 

*Of course, there are a few exceptions:  
1) Snow boots if my current boots fall apart  (I live in Chicago and The Ban is not worth losing a toe)
2) Gifts (for others, not myself)
3) Craft supplies that are ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED to finish a project (I’m trusting myself to know if something is absolutely required, this mostly falls under gifts anyway).  This probably sounds like a weird exception but have a lot of craft projects planned for the cold months and don’t need any more excuses for not finishing them. 

3 comments:

Heather said...

You're going to save a ton of money. I had a semester during my undergrad that I was so busy that I didn't go shopping at all other than food and toiletries. The amount of cash I saved was crazy. Best wishes.

Satoris said...

Does this include plane tickets to see friends? :(

Jen said...

Heather--I hope so! I also think it might give me more time to get some projects done. Shopping really is pretty time consuming.

Tori--Of course not! Plane tickets are not stuff!