Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Digital Disaster

Technology is EVERYWHERE.  I am all for the majority of technology.  And I might be addicted to certain technology.   But, seriously, there’s been an explosion of technology over the course of my life time, some of which is saving the world (hello, hybrid cars) some not so much (xbox = couch potato).  Much of the up and coming technology is digital—cellphones, computers, e-books, as well as numerous other methods of “connecting” and connecting quickly. 

Now, I love my laptop as much as the next blogger.  But, boy, it is NOT saving the world.  Or, rather, some of the ways I use it, are not saving the world.  I’m cringing as I admit this to the world, but here goes…I leave my laptop plugged in.  All the time.  It’s terrible, I know.  It’s simply a convenience thing.  I almost always use it in the same spot and the plug is hard to reach.  So…I just leave it plugged in.  Even if I take my laptop elsewhere (e.g., the other end of the couch), I just leave the plug in the outlet, which according to my dad, means it still using some energy.  Ouch.

So, it’s gotta change.  There’s no reason for it not to change except laziness.   And I am not lazy. 

Unplugging…right…..NOW. 

3 comments:

Jaclyn said...

Jen I have a solution for your hard to reach plug... they make power strips that have a certain number of outlets that which when the device that is plugged into them is not on, there is no power going to that particular outlet.

TJ said...

its been 10 days since last post... anxiously awaiting to see what Super Jen does next to save the world!

Jen said...

Jackie--Would you believe I have one of those and I NEVER thought to use it for my laptop? How silly! We also have an outlet that is connected to a light switch...could use it too.

Tanner--I know! It's terrible. It's so much harder in the summer. But, I swear, I will average 2 a week. It's going to pick up again soon...thanks for keeping me on track.