Monday, April 25, 2011

Trashy People

I hate litter.  It really, really, really--times infinity--bothers me when people litter.  For a big city, I have to say that Chicago is actually fairly litter-free.  Someone out there is doing a fantastic job of picking up much of the litter left by trashy people.  But, as far as I’m concerned, any litter is too much litter. 

Last year, running along the lake front path on a warm spring evening, I marveled at the beauty of Chicago, the lakefront being particularly exceptional with the skyline view, lake, and greenery.  As I ran past some fisherman at a nearby harbor, I noted a number of beer cans, plastic sodas bottles and the like laying along the scenic seating area.  Apparently, I wasn’t the only one taking advantage of the weather and view.  However, there’s absolutely no excuse for leaving trash along the lake front—there are trash and recycling cans about every 25-50 yards along the path.   I made a promise/challenge to myself then and there.  I decided that every time I run outside, I will pick up at least 1 piece of trash. 

And I have.  I was running a lot last summer, probably 4-5 times a week.  And I rarely actually only picked up one piece, I usually picked up 2 or 3.  In my head, I’ve also started this arbitrary point system (think “Whose Line is it Anyway?”) whereby I get extra “points” if I can recycle the item.  One day I found the ultimate litter, worth more "points" than 18 recyclable cans……the plastic ring from a six pack.  Why is this the ultimate piece of litter?  Because I very clearly remember Mrs. Anna, my third grade teacher, showing us a picture of a turtle that got caught in one of those and telling us to ALWAYS cut up the rings before throwing them away because animals could die.  I still do that, Mrs. Anna-- who knows how many animals you have indirectly saved?!?!   I happily ripped that 6-pack ring, which could have easily blown into the lake, into to shreds.  

The six-pack ring incident was so powerful, that upon arriving home, I blurted out my trashing-picking-up plans to my husband…plans I had been holding secret for months at that point.  Some might think it’s a bit gross to pick up others trash (hence being a bit secretive).  And maybe it is.  To be fair, I hold it with my fingertips as far from my body as I can.  Plus, I am usually a sweaty mess anyway, what’s the difference?  It’s not like I’m picnicking out there. 

I’ve been huddled in the gym for months now…but trash day--it’s just around the corner….

7 comments:

TJ said...

you inspired me...I threw away a 6 ring today and made sure i cut it up first... don't want any dead turtles!

Jen said...

Good work! I know you are a turtle fan. If you want to stamp a terrible image in your head so you will never forget to tear up the rings good pictures of turtles and six-pack rings. It's very sad.

Becky said...

Mrs. Anna would be so proud

Unknown said...

I am also proud of you Jen...you are enough to inspire us all. When it gets nice enough out I will be taking Nolan for walks. I think I will have to take a small grocery bag with me for picking up trash I see.

Satoris said...

Did you know there is a "trash runners" group - nationwide... but one in Chicago. They "run 4 trash" - meet monthly to run around and pick up litter. They even have their own lingo like getting "rear-ended" means when someone stops to pick up trash and person behind doesn't see it and bumps into them... and "trashole" - basically a litterbug. You should check it out. You might like it and meet others like you. Chicago page: http://www.meetup.com/chicagotrashrunners/ and random page about group in general: http://www.atayne.com/impact/trash-runners/

Jen said...

Thanks, MOM!

Chris--Thanks! How is the baby?

Tori-I can't believe it! I'm not alone in my trash picking up. That's really cool. I'm going to check it out.

Jaclyn said...

I'm pretty sure the girls at work think I'm crazy when I go through the fridge every day and pull out all of the 6 rings to cut them up... and when I catch them throwing out something recyclable and scold them... Now i'm not afraid to admit it I thought I was the only weirdo picking up trash on my runs!!